Thursday, September 9, 2010

Our Affect

Our natural focus is how our decisions affect ourselves and our course in life. Many times too we take in account the affect of our actions on others. The ability we have to affect others is still often underestimated.

A story from my life: There was a kid in my grade in middle school through hight school. He was a quiet kid and was always being picked on because he was overweight. Kids were really cruel to him. I rarely had a chance to interact with him in middle school. However in high school he was in a few of my classes. My first class with him was my math class sophomore year. During class he would sleep and never have his homework completed. He did not make any kind of an attempt to even pass the class. A year or two later he was in one of my creative imaging classes. I decided that I would be his friend. I tried to give additional help on his projects, I tried to give sincere complements when ever I could. I tried to show genuine interest in him, and I tried to think of things I could ask him about. However as I made attempts to get to know him and gain his trust. I saw that it was too late, he had already lost his faith in mankind. When I asked him about things he usually had a look on his face, waiting for me to set him up to be the punch line of joke. I hope that one day his faith in man will be renewed.

“Always remember that people are looking to you for leadership and you are influencing the lives of individuals either for good or for bad, which influence will be felt for generations to come.” - President N. Eldon Tanner
This quote teaches us the responsibility we have to the people who are within our sphere of influence, but also the often unconsidered generations in our sphere of influence. Its kind of a sobering thought.

No comments: